Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day 5K: PRing and Missing the Power of Speed

1st Place Women 20-29!
Today was the Aurora Labor Day 5K at Sunny Lake Park. I not only finished first in the women's 20-29 age group, but also PRed! I ran about a 23:30 5K, a whole minute faster than my time last year at this race! Considering I haven't done ANY speed work at all, that's pretty damn good! My first mile was a 7:30 minute mile. I felt really good too, especially the first mile. The last mile though, I started to get a little tired and slowed down a bit.  But, I think taking a rest day yesterday was a good idea. My legs felt pretty fresh for the first couple miles. Blake was about two minutes ahead of me and his younger brother, Ian, was right behind me pretty much the whole time. I encouraged him the last half mile or so and then.... The last 200 meters the little booger sprinted past me towards the finish! -lol-
Adding on to my 10 + medals. :)

That's alright though, I'm just proud of myself for PRing! I've been running like 24-25 minute 5Ks lately because I don't train for shorter distances and I just run at a comfortable pace. But, after this marathon I'm training for SPEED! I never thought I'd say this, but I actually miss speed work! I used to despise it, but it's so worth it! My goal is to place in the top three overall women - and I know I can do it too! The lady who placed third overall today ran a 22:49! I hope to finish in 21-something at my next 5K, which won't be for a long time since it's already September...

Today is also Miles' 10-week birthday!! YAY! In a little less than six months he'll be running with me. :) Can't wait!

Well, off to take a shower and relax. Have a Happy Labor Day, everyone! :)
My little trophy showcase. Everything from 5Ks to Duathlons. 
Happy 10-Week Birthday, Miles!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment