Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My Top Five Running Pet Peeves

So, we all have our own pet peeves. Listed below are my pet peeves as a runner, in descending order.

5.) The Speeder Upper and Slower Downer - This is someone who likes to speed up to get in front of me and then slow down significantly to the point where I have to go around them... It's great to be competitive and try to pass people - it's a great feeling to pass several people during a race. But, to cut someone off and slow down? NOT COOL!

4.) UH OH... -  One of my pet peeves within myself is when I'm in the midst of a long run and all of a sudden my stomach makes some strange sound signaling it's time to find a restroom and FAST! Especially when I'm on a trail where there are no restrooms around... =-/

Shamrock 15K, 2010
3.) Ready... Set... WALK! - It's cool if you want to walk a 5K, half marathon or marathon. Good for you for getting out there! But, get in the back PLEASE! I can't stand it when I'm in the middle of a pack of runners prepping for the gun to shoot off to start the race and once I get going I'm stopped by a walker who thought they could walk just as fast as us runners... It's just race etiquette that if you're a slower runner or a walker to go as far back as you can so not to interrupt the rest of the runners' pace.

2.) "Marathon, 5K, Whatever?!" - Ahh yes, ignorance is bliss... Some people believe that a 5K is in the marathon category, despite the BIG mileage difference. A 5K is 3.1 miles compared to a marathon, which is 26.2 miles. That's a difference of 23.1 miles! Yes, that is a BIG deal. So, if you ask me on a day that I run in a 5K, "How was your marathon?" and I respond saying it was only a 5K, don't respond by saying "Oh, marathon, 5K, whatever same difference." Nope, it's NOT. Try running a 5K and then a marathon or even a half marathon (13.1 miles) and see if you can tell the difference. I bet your lungs and legs can. So, to some all the races may seem the same, but they're not. Each distance is different, 5K, 10K, 15K, Half Marathon, Marathon - so treat them as so. :)

1.) "I'm too old to run." -  There are always those who I come into contact with who say they're too old to start running or to be active at all, even if they're JUST 30 or 40 years old! Sorry my friends, you're NEVER too old to start exercising... If a 101-year-old can complete a marathon (26.2 miles), then you 30, 40 and 50 year olds can go out there for a jog! Check out this article on the oldest man to complete a marathon "He Sings, He Run, He's only 101." Also, check out the Physical Activity Guidelines for older adults as recommend by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

For Important Health Benefits. CDC.GOV

Older adults need at least:
walking2 hours and 30 minutes (150 minutes) of moderate-intensity aerobic activity (i.e., brisk walking) every week and
weight trainingmuscle-strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week that work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest,  shoulders, and arms).
OR
jogging1 hour and 15 minutes (75 minutes) of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity (i.e., jogging or running) every week and
weight trainingmuscle-strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week that work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest,  shoulders, and arms).
OR
walking joggingAn equivalent mix of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity and
weight trainingmuscle-strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week that work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest,  shoulders, and arms).
This is for adults 65 and older! So, if you're under 65 you shouldn't be making up excuses for why you can't run or be active. Being active, especially into the older years, can help keep you healthy for life. "Exercise can Help Elderly Avoid Devastating Falls."

Well, those are my top five running pet peeves. Stay FIT everyone! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment