Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Possible Reasons I Didn't Run the Full Last Year :-(

So I'm in the middle of the sixth week of training (WOO). I'm a little anxious about the next three weeks, because last year I gave up my marathon training at week nine! I ran 15 miles the week before and the day I was supposed to run 16, I just couldn't do it anymore. So, I called the Cleveland Marathon and told them I'd be downgrading to the half... Whomp whomp whomp......... That WILL NOT happen this year! Here are the factors that I believe played into me not completing my full marathon training...

1. I started training in the winter months and was in Bowling Green... Let's just say BG isn't the funnest place to run over 10 miles in.

2. I didn't have much motivation/support. Blake wasn't planning on running the full marathon in Cleveland and wasn't too thrilled about running that much. It really helps to have someone training with you. Now, Blake IS training for the marathon with me, plus I'll be joining the Grunt Girls, so I'll have TONS of support. Not to mention this blog. This is the main reason I started this blog - to vent about my training, get support and track my feelings and thoughts during the 18-month long process.

3. My body was just too exhausted. Maybe it was stress from school, poor nutrition or training, but I was so tired and sore ALL THE TIME. Hopefully more regular yoga and my early strength training will help my muscles from all the strain of road running. Plus, even though I already eat healthy, I'm trying to eat more carbohydrates and protein so my body can recover from those long runs.

Deena Kastor
4. TOO MUCH REPETITIVENESS! I only ran on roads and sidewalks, occasionally a treadmill. But, this time around I've been doing some trail running and plan to do more with the Grunt Girls. Trail running emphasizes different running skills, muscles and joints from your shoulders down. The ankles and knees really gain strength, but it also provides comfort from the hard pounding on the pavement, which can cause shin splints. Also, because of the unpredictability of the route, trail running improves your proprioception (the sense of balance and where the body is in space). According to Life Time Fitness, that's how American runner Deena Kastor won the bronze medal in the 2004 Athens Olympics Marathon. Therefore, MORE TRAIL RUNS!

This week's schedule looks like this: Monday I did upper body to give my legs a rest from the weekend's cardio workouts which included a 12-mile run on Saturday and a 10-mile bike on Sunday (my legs were KILLING me!). Tuesday was an easy three miles with some core work. Today was also an easy three miles, but Blake ran with me this morning. :) Tomorrow is going to be a six-mile pace workout. It's supposed to be 97 degrees tomorrow! YIKES! I'll have to get my run in early in the morning to beat the heat. Then I'll take a rest day Friday, Saturday hopefully a nice bike ride and then nine miles in the Peninsula with the Grunt Girls. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment