Monday, July 11, 2011

Talking to HS Girls About Running and My Own Regrets

So, today I spoke to the Streetsboro High School Cross Country Girls about running and nutrition. Man, was if weird going down the halls of my old high school... So many good and bad memories. I didn't recognize one face in that classroom I've sat in so many times, except one - my old high school teacher/coach, Mr. Kidd. Kidd is the track/cross country girls coach at SHS and he asked me last week to come speak to his girls. I felt so honored! He is the one that really got me into running. I only ran one year of track with Kidd my senior year, which I wish would have been four! But, I'll get into more of that later.

The girls were great! Some of them looked like they were nodding off or were giggling to their friends, but that's what I expected after they had a long day of running. I was pretty nervous going into it. I mainly talked about running and nutrition; what they should be eating, tips on how to pick out the right foods for their bodies, my experiences as a runner outside of high school and I ended with a talk about eating disorders. I brought up my story and how important it is to talk to their friends, parents, coaches, doctors and teachers if they ever develop/have or know someone with an eating disorder. I was kind of winging it, so I really didn't have a speech prepared or anything. So, afterwards I felt like there were a few things I should have mentioned - like signs of an eating disorder and the side effects. Luckily, Kidd said he'd like to have me come back to talk to the kids about nutrition. Of course I said YES! This is what I LOVE to do, educate and raise awareness to others on health and wellness. I'm just so passionate about all wellness topics that I get so excited! =-D

Another thing I brought up to the girls and even told Kidd on the side was that I really wish I would have ran cross country and track throughout my four years of high school... Soccer was fun and all, but let's face it, WE SUCKED! When I played, we only tied like TWO games... I met some awesome girls and was still running, but not to my potential. Softball on the other hand, I could have done without that! We really didn't do much running or physical conditioning at all, expect for the beginning of the season. Plus, I really wasn't the greatest at it - probably because it really didn't interest me all that much. I really only did it because it was something to do and my parents got me into it when I was younger so I felt as though I had to... Plus, I felt embarrassed to go out for the cross or track team when I was younger. I didn't want people watching me run! I didn't even like running all that much when I was younger and couldn't imagine running more than three miles! Oh, silly young Colleen... :)

Me running the 2-mile senior year. I'm the second one from the front.
Luckily, I decided my senior year of high school to say, "Screw softball! I'm running track!" And I did, and fell in love with it! I mean, don't get me wrong, it was TOUGH! But, I was in the best shape of my life and actually was a pretty good runner! Coach Kidd really got me into it! He'd asked me for a couple years to join cross, but I was too in love with soccer... I could have done both, but that would have been tough! I know everything happens for a reason, but I can only imagine all the opportunities and how much fitter I would have been then and now if I would have ran...

Me, Coach Kidd and my BFF Courtney track senior year.
If I could go back in time and change one thing, it would definitely be to have done cross and track in high school... That was one thing Kidd wanted me to touch on, my regrets for not running all four years. Not because he wanted the girls to stick with the sport for his own personal benefit, but for the girls' benefit. He wants to help them with their own fitness and set them up for a lifetime of fitness, not just in high school. And I think that's great! We need more teachers and coaches like Robb Kidd! More teachers and coaches who educate their students on nutrition and fitness, even if they are a history teacher. To want their players and students to benefit from the sport for themselves and incorporate what they learned through sports into their everyday lives as adults too. Too many coaches just want to WIN WIN WIN. That's not what you want to instill in our future, you want to instill confidence and educate them on what will be beneficial for them, not just the team.

So, even though I do indeed wish I would have ran in high school, I try to take an optimistic approach. Instead of "regretting" those three and a half years without running as a sport, I'm thankful for that season of track that changed my life and for the coach who changed my perspective on running and built my love for what I do or think of just about everyday. :)

All that matters is that I am running NOW. I know so many people who back in high school were great athletes and runners, yet they don't do much of anything now. That's what matters. To be an athlete for LIFE, not just high school... Of course, it's important for kids to be active, it helps aid them in their healthand future fitness. But, if you don't continue with that activity level throughout your 20's, 30's, 40's and beyond, you're really not doing anything for yourself. I don't see running as a chore. It's a sport, activity, competition for most - but to me, I see it as a lifestyle. I can't imagine my life without running in it. It's what I look forward to! The early morning runs, the races, the medals and trophies, the amazing sore feeling after a good workout and of course that runner's high. I love every minute of it, the pain to the victory. It's all the same to me - it's all part of my lifestyle.

Chicken tacos!!
Well, getting ready now to eat some chicken tacos I made! Nom nom!


Stay fit my friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment