Saturday, July 2, 2011

July 4th 5Ks and My Future Running Buddy

Just got back from the Tree City 5K Run for United Way of Portage County in Kenwith Blake and his Dad, GaryBoy, was it a hot one! The race started at 7:00 PM and we had to get there by 5:30 PM for a bus to take us from the finish line to the starting line at Dix Stadium at Kent State. I was supposed to run six miles today, according to my training plan. But, according to my body, five miles was good enough. I ran two miles about an hour before the race around the stadium, it may or may not have been a good idea. All I know is that I felt like shit during the race!

I'm not a night runner, I'm an early morning runner. I would have much rather had the race at 7 AM than PM...Adjusting my meal schedule was kind of hectic and I don't think I planned it out too well... I woke up this morning around 8ish and decided not to eat until around 11 am so I wouldn't be starving before the race and have like a snack or something later. That didn't work out too well. Blake and I went to Pulp for a wrap and smoothies around 11:30 this morning (I got an Anna Banana smoothie and an Asian Chicken wrap on wheat - NOM NOM), went to the Post Office (I'll explain why later) and then went home. At around 4:30 this evening we had PB&J's and I had some yogurt and a banana... I think the yogurt wasn't the smartest idea, or maybe just the meal itself... I kept getting cramps during the race and towards the last mile, I felt sick to my stomach. I mean, it was also around 80 degrees and humid so that may have played a role in it as well. I did, however, run a 24:32. Which isn't too bad considering all the hills through Kent's campus, the heat and my stomach. That's around an eight-minute mile pace. I also placed second in my age group. The awards weren't the greatest, a glass that says Age Group Winner on the back... What ever happened to giving out trophies or medals? At my last Duathlon in Twinsburg they gave me a picture frame for placing first... I just want a trophy, damn it! :)
My 2nd Place "trophy"
Anyways... Back to why I went to the post office today. If you've been keeping up with my recent Facebook posts you'd know that I'm getting my vizsla! I found a breeder in Hillboro, Ohio (about three hours from Streetsboro) who just had a litter about two weeks ago. I already contacted the breeder by phone and e-mail. She asks for a $100 deposit, so that's what I went to the Post Office for. I'm so excited! The pups aren't champion-line because the breeder doesn't have time to do shows and raises them more as family dogs, so they're cheaper than most breeder sell them for. I'll hopefully be getting a male puppy and name him Miles. For obvious reasons. :) If not, I'll get a female and name her Autumn. Either way, I'll have my vizsla and be so happy. The puppies won't be available until August 12, so it gives me some time to prepare for the little guy (or girl). I'm a little nervous, especially since I'll be starting graduate school here on August 29 at KSU and I may become overwhelmed with everything, but it'll all be worth it. :)
One of these lil' guys will be mine! 
Monday is the Fourth of July! That means the Aurora Fourth of July 5K Fun Run in the AM. :) Speaking of the fourth... Blake's neighbors are setting off fireworks and I haven't even showered yet! Better ready before I miss the whole show!

Have a SAFE and HAPPY Fourth of July Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment